DIY-ing the Dining Room Hutch for Less than $60
It finally feels like we’re starting to make some progress in my mom and dad’s living room and dining room.
Most items have been ordered and almost all the painting is complete. We are moving toward D-Day which, for us, is getting the flooring installed because once the floors are in, we can sprint toward the finish!
Back when we first embarked on this redesign, there were several DIY projects I wanted to tackle and one of them was the dining room hutch.
Remember this guy?
Although the hutch is over 30 years old, it’s in great condition. Still, I’ve always had three major problems with it: it’s size, it’s shape, and it’s color.
Growing up I always thought it was much too big for the dining room space. I never appreciated the ornate lines and traditional style, and I wished the color was darker. Also, the white accents never worked for me! Now I finally have a chance to change it! YES!
Here is my inspirational piece. I like the darker wood color with the nickel toned hardware and the fact that it sits up off the ground on legs. This piece was my muse but I reproduced my own version for just under $60!
…And here’s how the transformation went down!
First, we removed the entire top half of the hutch. This immediately made it look like a new piece. I liked it better already! After the top half was gone, we removed and spray painted the hardware in a brushed nickel finish.
I knew I wanted to make the new hutch feel taller so I decided to add these 6 inch Queen Anne style legs that I found online for about $8 each on sale. I bought standard furniture leg mounting hardware from Home Depot and attached it to the bottom of the hutch. The process is easy. It’s just a matter of screwing in the brackets to the piece and then screwing in the legs (which have pre-installed holes) to the brackets.
All of the sudden the hutch got a whole new look! I was already excited at this point!
6 inch Queen Anne Leg
Furniture Leg & Mounting Hardware
Wendy and I toyed with the idea of stripping the hutch and re-staining it which would’ve taken weeks. Instead we opted to prime and paint it. We even skipped the sanding! We used a spray paint primer and applied three coats. The primer did give the hutch a slightly rough texture. If you want a completely smooth finish, sanding would be a better way to go. For the time savings though, I am willing to live with a little texture!
Primed with new legs! I already loved it at this point in the process!
Finally, we spray painted the entire piece a deep chocolate brown in a satin finish. I wanted some sheen on the piece but high gloss spray paint shows every nick and every mistake! We did three coats of the rich brown allowing about 2 hours drying time between each coat.
Here’s a shot of one of the drawers between coats 2 and 3 of the brown spray paint.
The very last step was to reinstall the hardware and just like that it was done! My parents can hardly believe it’s the same piece. This project can definitely be tackled in a weekend! I am thrilled with the finished product and can’t wait to see it in the newly completed space!
Create. Innovate. Decorate!